Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they want to believe, often with their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the future they are most vulnerable to doubt and conspiracy theories. The past half a year people all around the globe are extremely disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, less due to the deadly aftereffects of the virus compared to restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it’s earned its wake. They desperately need to return to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to simply accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a hoax, it’s nothing more than a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is established and the social media as always helps it spread-at times faster compared to killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the important points that over 806 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only older people with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that normally the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for some countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young people too and everyone can be infected from this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US that we will not make an explanation here just to stop vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to mention here this writer got a social media forward giving a link to an article by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is just a’political hoax ‘. Even as we mentioned earlier lots of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than the usual medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that just a’annual influenza’has been called a pandemic and he wanted action contrary to the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a string of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory stops working at the basic premise itself: if that’s so then this phenomenon should be occurring each year, and why then in 2010 should really be so different! Governments need not have gone on a crisis drive to create more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds just to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of varied affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some that we narrate below as arguments to break such forms of fake and motivated views:
1. Let us take the example of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring lots of conspiracy theories about China itself we only ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) in terms of continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful to keep the infected numbers below 100,000 the nation remains fearing another outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to stop its spread. Its aggression against India may also be explained as an integral part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed over fifty percent a million so far and remains on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to circumstances of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one is always to account fully for a death rate of over 14% (seen in a couple of countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization continue telling’lies’that the new Coronavirus is extremely dangerous that will probably stay for more than two years and the worst is yet in the future despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to possess accepted initially this pandemic is the biggest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the planet continue taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way for a recession possibly even worse compared to Great Depression? Particularly, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it’s achieved in development so far.
5. Why is this type of mad rush all around the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At least such an intensive medical research cannot mask an invisible agenda whatever that may be.
In the last few days new cases in India have been rising at nearly 25000 each day with the only real solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being truly a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. Only at that crucial juncture we ought to not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to create a kill in terms of profit. As an example, in case a link for an article with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivated media outlets consider the type of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.